168 Wilton Street
May 27, 2017 & May 28, 2017Saturday: 11:00am - 5:00pmSunday: 1:00pm - 5:00pm
Located in the residential neighbourhood of Crescentwood, St. George’s Anglican Church was designed by Leslie Russell of the architectural firm Green Blankstein Russell and Associates, and constructed in 1957. The modernist structure is the third church to be constructed at the Grosvenor and Wilton site and is faced inside and out with Tyndall limestone veneer on brick. Expanses of glazing lighten the large structure and include a west facing window designed by Leo Mol incorporating a central panel of Robert McCausland glass taken from the previous church. Artist and sculptor George Swinton assisted with the choice of coloured mosaic tiles used for the sixteen columns lining the north and south aisles. The massive oak entrance doors feature carved relief panels by sculptor Cecil Richards.
Tours: Saturday at 11:30, 1:30 and 3:30; Sunday at 1:30 and 3:30. All tours preceded by demonstrations of the Casavant/Hill, Norman & Beard organ. Displays and refreshments.